After Richard’s best and only friend, a dwarf hamster named Etienne, is diagnosed with terminal cancer, he decides to take him on a bicycle road trip up the California coast to show him the world before he must put him to sleep.
Main DetailsDirector: Jeff Mizushima
Script: Jeff Mizushima
Runtime: 88 minutes
Rating UK: Not Rated / US: Not Rated
Richard Vallejos, Megan Harvey, Caveh Zahedi, Matt Garron, Rachel Stolte, Solon Bixler, Sophia Myles
Extensive Story Description
Etienne! is a film about the little things in life.
It tells the story of Richard who spends his days taking care of his best friend, a dwarf hamster named Etienne. He builds habitats, contructs helicopters for his pocket pet and treats his animal companion, as he would like to be treated. One day, bad news arrives and Richard finds out that his hamster has terminal cancer. The veterinarian recommends euthanasia before the animal begins to suffer but instead, Richard decides to take Etienne on a bicycle road trip to give it a chance to see the world before it dies. On the road up the California coast, they both experience a new world. Their adventures introduce them to new discoveries about life and the people in it.
Etienne! is about the randomness of fate and happenstance.
It tells the story of Elodie, a young free spirit who has been emotionally crushed after the breakup with her long-term boyfriend. The comfort and structure of that relationship has put new perspectives on her life. She decides to take a break from college to reconnect with her former independence. As Richard and Elodie’s journeys unfold, the two become fatefully connected. And with both of their stories collide, the life of Etienne turn their worlds into a much smaller place.
Sophia stars as herself. She appears in only one scene of the movie, where Richard is attempting to grab an apple from a tree.
Film Festival Screenings
- CineVegas Film Festival (World Premiere) – Winner of Special Jury Award
- SF United Film Festival
- Pigeon Point Lighthouse Special Screening
- Marin Headlands Hostel Special Screening
- Cinefamily Special Screening
- Oxford International Film Festival – Winner of Best Narrative Feature
- Tulsa United Film Festival
- Albuquerque Film Festival
- Chicago United Film Festival
- Sidewalk Moving Picture Festival
- Denver Starz Film Festival
- New York United Film Festival
- Heartland Film Festival
- Flyaway Film Festival
- Hawaii International Film Festival
- San Diego Asian Film Festival
- Cinema by the Bay
- Olympia Film Festival
- KidsFirst! Film Festival – Winner of 3rd Place – Best Indie Feature for kids ages 5-12
- ACE Hotel in Palms Springs
- The SHOWWX Film Festival at Sundance
- Filmwochenende Würzburg (European & German Premiere)
- Oxford Film Festival
- Schweizer Jugendfilmtage (Switzerland Premiere)
- Off Plus Camera Film Festival (Poland Premiere)
- Los Angeles United Film Festival
- Santa Cruz Film Festival – Closing Night Film
- Rooftop Film Series
- Little Rock Film Festival
- Temescal Street Cinema
- Prescott Film Festival
- ReRun Theatre, Brooklyn (USA Theatrical)
- kult.kino atelier, Basel (“De Hamschter Etienne” – Theatrical)
- Kino Sputnik, Liestal (“De Hamschter Etienne” – Theatrical)
- Shoot Me Film Festival (The Netherlands Premiere)
- arthouse movie (Switzerland – Theatrical)
- doc films, University of Chicago
- Schaffhausen Film Festival
- Ozark Foothills Film Fest
Quotes from Others
Sophia is a big time Hollywood actress. It was a favor and a coincidence she’s in the film at all and we didn’t know how to credit her or if we should credit her, so it ended up the way it is. I don’t know, this was a strange situation. Every time I see her scene I always say to myself, “What the fuck is Sophia Myles doing in Etienne?” In a good way.